Saturday, May 22, 2010

One day..


For some reason I have always been drawn towards the South. When we moved from Connecticut to Virginia we did a road trip all the way down to Orlando, FL. I fell in love with coastal South Carolina and Savannah, GA. It's some thing about the plantations, the spanish moss and the Gone With the Wind days that captures my attention. I love the wide, wrap around porches, the columns and shutters. The houses all have such a dramatic and grand appearance.
Some years ago I stumbled upon a web page for Palmetto Bluff. It is a fairly new community, built at the edge of the saltwater marshes near Bluffton, South Carolina. All of the houses are built with Southern traditions in mind. On our way back from Florida, I talked Dan into letting us stop there so I could walk around and admire all the million dollar houses. The one in this picture is the one I fell in love with at first sight. I can just imagine sitting in that wicker furniture on the porch and having a glass of wine......
The whole community was just stunning. From the red herringbone brick walk ways to the real gas laterns that lit the bridge running over the pond. It was almost like stepping back in time. In the middle of the Village were the remains of an old plantation, just the foundations and part of the columns remained.. It sat overlooking the marshes, surrounded by ancient live oak trees... I could imagine living there, I think I must have in a previous life..

No comments:

Post a Comment